Pizza Recipe : Margherita Pizza
|Pizza : Margherita Pizza - Info
||12'' Pizza (2-4)
Pizza Margherita is a pizza prepared according to a recipe of the Italian chef Raffaelle Esposito. The pizza was first made in 1899 when Queen Marghereta visited Napels to escape a cholera epidemic in the north of Italy. The ingredients used to make a Margherita pizza, tomatos, mozzarella cheese and basil, imitate the colors of the Italian flag. Queen Margherata liked the pizza so much that she wrote a thank you letter to Esposito, who decided to name the pizza after the Queen.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb. plum Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 12" uncooked NY Style dough crust
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 fresh basil leaves cut into julienne strips
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
Step by Step Procedure
- Combine 2 Tbls. olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, and salt in bowl.
- Allow to marinate while making dough.
- Brush dough crust lightly with olive oil.
- Top with cheese, then
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated 500F oven on
pizza stone for 8−10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese
- Remove from oven and top with parmesan cheese, then basil.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2−3 minutes before cutting into wedges and
Go back to the Pizza topping page.