Pizza Recipe : Grilled Pizza
|Pizza : Grilled Pizza - Info
||12'' Pizza (2-4)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cup warm water divided (110F)
- 3 1/2 cups Unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tbls. olive oil divided
- 2 teas. light brown sugar
- 2 pks. dry yeast
- Sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice
Step by Step Procedure
- Measure 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl.
- Add sugar and yeast and
stir to dissolve.
- Allow stand at least 5 minutes to proof, or until froth forms on top.
- Meanwhile, sift together into a large bowl the white flour, wheat flour,
corn meal and salt.
- Make a depression in the middle and add 3 Tbls of the
olive oil and 1 cup warm water.
- Add prepared yeast mixture.
- Mix all ingredients with
your hands and gather together and place on floured board.
- Knead about
10 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky, to form a smooth, elastic
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil.
- Place dough in bowl, turning it to coat with oil.
- Cover and let rise in warm place, draft−free location until doubled in size −
about 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising prepare desired sauces and toppings.
- Divide dough
into 6 equal pieces and, on floured surface, roll out to desired shape about
1/2 inch thick.
- Coat both sides of shaped crust with olive oil, then place on grill
directly over fire until upper surface begins to bubble (about 2 minutes).
must be very hot and grill must be clean (coals should be red with a small flame,
like a steak fire; this is important).
- Watch crust closely and rotate with spatula
- Remove crust and turn cooked side up (it should be golden brown).
- Brush with olive oil, sauce, cheese and desired toppings.
- Sprinkle some olive
oil over each pizza.
- Return for final cooking (2−4 minutes).
- Cooking time of sauce, cheese, and toppings will be shorter than in an oven.
Use toppings that take little time at all (if any) to actually cook and do not
overload. Try using a soft or crumbled cheese and a cooked, warm sauce.
Go back to the Pizza topping page.