Pizza Recipe : Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
| Whole Wheat Pizza Dough - Info
||12'' Pizza (2-4)
Here's a recipe for whole wheat pizza dough. Besides being super tasty, using whole wheat has got a lot of health benefits as well. Whole wheat is nutritionally superior to refined flour. It is richer in protein, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants and lowers the incidence of obesity and a lot of diseases like cancer, diabetes and hearth diseases.
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) pack dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Step by Step Procedure
- Dissolve sugar or honey in water and add yeast.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours.
- Allow to sit until the yeast foams slightly
(about 5 minutes).
3 cups of the flour and salt in a bowl. Pour the yeast
mixture and oil if you are using it.
- Knead the mixture,
gradually adding enough of the remaining flour mixture so that the
dough is no longer sticky. Continue kneading until the dough is smooth
and elastic (another 10−15 minutes by hand).
- Shape dough into a ball
and put in an large oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat it with the oil.
- Allow to rise until doubled in size (45 minutes to 1 hours).
- Punch down the dough and divide
into 2 pieces. This will make two 12 inch pizzas.
- Shape each portion into a 12" circle either by hand or with a rolling pin, stretching out
as necessary to achieve a thin dough. For a lighter crust, let the
dough sit for a half hour after shaping before constructing pizza
- Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
- Allow to rest in a warm location for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a 475 degree oven until crust is golden, about 20 minutes.
Go back to the Pizza dough page.