Sicilian Pizza Dough Recipe
Sicilian pizza dough has its toppings baked directly into the crust. An authentic recipe uses neither cheese nor anchovies. Pizza Hut's Sicilian Pizza, introduced in 1994, is not an authentic example of the style as only garlic, basil, and oregano are mixed into the crust.
|Sicillian Pizza Dough - Info
||12'' Pizza (2-4)
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water (105F)
- 4 cups all−purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
Step by Step Procedure
- Combine yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and water in a bowl covered with
plastic wrap. Allowrise for 15 minutes. Stir to deflate.
- Add 2 cups of remaining flour with salt, 1 cup cool
tap water, and oil. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Mix in remaining flour.
- Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until
- Place dough in bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic
wrap. Let rise until doubled size (1 to 2 hours).
- Punch dough down and
put in ziploc bag in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator when ready to shape into crust.
- Punch down dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface.
- Lightly oil (olive) a 17 1/2" X 11 1/2" X 3/4" pan. Place dough in pan
and push to stretch evenly leaving a lip up against sides of pan.
Let rest for 10−15 minutes.
- Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and place desired toppings.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Go back to the Pizza dough page.